Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Of Family Night, My Sweet Boy, Parenthood, and Pictures

Another very successful FHE a few nights ago. :) We had a blast. We learned about commandments and blessings. Our activities included acting out a story about a mother bear who taught her young cubs to climb up a tree when she told them too in case of danger and their obedience came in handy one day when a mountain lion happened along. We also did a fun treasure hunt around our house where Hudson looked for clues and finally found a prize at the end. Then we drew pictures of commandments, because apparently FHE is synonymous with coloring in our house. Hudson loves to yell "Family night!!" and talk about how "fun" it is. I love it.

What I love most though is how even though he is so young, he seems to remember things of importance. We kept telling him that commandments are like rules and blessings are like surprises (the highlight of any moment of his life, haha. He's always asking for a 'prize). I'm not sure if he totally gets it, but he loves to babble about commandments now and the other day in his room, he got out his Book of Mormon (just a standard missionary copy-- he's still learning to be really gentle with the scriptures) and said, "I read it" implying that I should listen. Then he went through lots of pages, pointing to words and saying, "Commandments. Blessings. Commandments. Blessings." I about died. He is such a sweet, sweet boy.

Lately, with the due date of our second baby coming closer and closer, I've been thinking a lot of about motherhood, parenthood, and the responsibilities that come along with this amazing calling/blessing I've received. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed when I think about how much sin and danger and how many temptations that children face on a daily basis. I want so badly for nothing negative to ever even come close to Hudson and Layna, but I know that I can't keep them in a bubble as much as I might want to. Eventually they will have to face the world that they live in and all Brandon and I can do is give them the best preparation possible. I hope they grow up knowing how much we love this gospel and how sure we are in the knowledge of its truthfulness. I hope we teach them to put on the full armor of God. I hope they know how much they are loved by us and by their Heavenly Father and their savior. I hope they are always worthy to have the Holy Ghost as their constant companion. The other day Cailey sent me the link to a talk by Elder Holland called "A Prayer for the Children." It was so inspirational and motivational to me. I am newly resolved to show my children through my actions and not just my words how committed I am to this gospel. I am so grateful for it and the anchor that it is during the times we live in.

I guess that's all I really have to say on the matter right now. I just wanted to remember this resolve as my family grows and gets older. As much as I'd like for Hudson to stay just the way he is forever and ever, I'm so excited for what the future holds. I can't wait to fill our house with children and to make them all as happy as my parents made me while I was growing up. :)

Oh, and here are some cute pictures of silly Hud bud running around outside while we've been enjoying great weather.








Never seen anything cuter. 

No comments: