Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Fresh Start

The fact that I haven't updated this blog in months has made the task of catching up so overwhelming that I've mostly ignored my blog since about April. However, these months have been PACKED with important things that I want to remember (like, say... having a second baby) so I'm going to attempt to get this blog up to speed. I'm committed and I'm going to get it done. I thought I'd start with something manageable. I changed the blog title. It is now called, "The Beautiful Quotidian." Quotidian is a word I learned in my creative non fiction writing class that I took at BYU. My professor loved this word and the moment I heard it, my soul recognized it as the perfect expression of something I've felt for years. Okay, that is a little dramatic. But it really did resonate with me. Quotidian means ordinary, everyday, commonplace. For a long time I've been fascinated by beauty in the ordinary. The idea that the small, seemingly unimportant details of our everyday life are the most beautiful when examined in all their wonderful familiarity. Details like the smell of baby shampoo as you gently wash your child's baby fine hair. The way a ray of sunshine reflects on your cereal spoon as you eat breakfast in the morning. Holding your spouse's hand as you walk into a movie theater on a hot summer night. And maybe even the feel of the rough concrete of your driveway as you roll your large garbage cans to the curb so they can be emptied early the next morning.

These are the things I love the most. And I realized that although we as a family don't do too many terribly exciting things in our lives, our everyday routines are filled with the beautiful quotidian details that I want to remember most. So. After getting you up to speed and filling you in on the birth of only the most gorgeous and perfect baby girl of all time, that's what I'll be focusing on. The everyday, commonplace beauty that makes up this magical life of mine.

2 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

So excited to see you blogging again and I love the new theme of your blog. So excited to read it! =)

LOLorrie said...

so glad your back! I've missed you!