Brandon got to go to New York on a business trip a week or so ago and I got to go too. I was ecstatic that I had three days to go wherever I want, eat what I want, wake up and go to bed when I want... etc. I was worried about missing Hudson (even while I was excited for the freedom), but I actually did fine. We left at five in the morning so I didn't have to watch him waving as we drove away so that helped and the time flew by. I definitely missed him, but I think it was a really good break for us. Plus, I knew he was having a blast with my mom and sisters and brother. He didn't miss us AT ALL. Haha.
Anyway, we got to NY in the afternoon and took a taxi to our hotel in Midtown, right by Macy's and the Empire State Building. We were on the 27th floor and had an awesome view. Our first night we found a cheap-ish place for dinner and then people watched on Time Square before walking to Madison Square Garden for a Knicks game. Thanks Mike for the tickets!!
Keep in mind that we woke up at four AM, haha
So happy. :)
It was St. Patrick's Day (lots of drunk people in cheap green attire) so the half time show was a group of river dancers
The next day Brandon went to work and I read a delightful novel (Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie) in bed until hunger forced me to get in the shower and head out into the glorious world outside. I asked the concierge the best way to go about getting to the Met and she warned me that it was a LONG walk, but I decided to do it anyway since there were so many fun things to see on the way. Our hotel was on 35th avenue between 5th and 6th so I walked up 5th Ave about fifty blocks until I got to the museum. Thankfully it was an absolutely gorgeous day. The sun was shining and there was a warm breeze. I was truly in heaven. I stopped at a little news stand/store to buy a fruit juice and bun for breakfast. The cashier was foreign and asked me if I worked in the area. Yay! I didn't look like a tourist. haha. He kept asking me if I drank a lot the day before (St. Patty's Day) and couldn't believe that I didn't drink. He also thought Utah was in Japan. Nice.
I passed this beauty on my walk and ducked inside for a quick look. I LOVE libraries and this one takes the cake. So gorgeous.
St. Peter's Cathedral was gorgeous too. Extremely Gothic. I haven't seen that many pointed archways and lancet windows in a long time.
I also got to pass by Rockefeller Center which was pretty cool.
This Chocolate shop looked AMAZING.
Brandon's dream store. Very interesting.
Entrance to Central Park
Springtime was just around the corner, but the trees didn't have any leaves yet. I thought it was beautiful anyway.
I saw the most interesting people here. A very sweet family caught my eye. The well dressed husband ran to meet his wife and mother/mother-in law (?) with his baby girl in a stylish stroller. He scooped her up and kissed her cheeks and put his arm around his wife as they continued to stroll through the park. I sat on a bench watching them, making up their story, and feeling a little pang in my heart for my own sweet baby waiting for me back at home.
Finally to the museum. It was a long walk with all the detours that I took. Well worth the wait.
This is what happens when you're alone all day and too embarrassed to ask someone to take a picture of you.
These guys were singing at the bottom of the museum steps. They were so good. Great Motown feel that had me tapping my toes and bobbing my head. Not really. I was much to self conscious and aware for that, but I did it inwardly. Someday I'll grow up and not care so much and maybe I'll just start dancing all by myself for all to see.
After spending a glorious 2 1/2-3 hours in the museum my feet were aching so I walked part of the way home and then ventured underground to take the subway. Thanks, London days for making me feel comfortable on the rails. :)
Right by our hotel
I was extremely happy with my little notebooks and postcards
And these babies did not fail me. I didn't have one blister.
I spent the rest of the late afternoon reading and writing. When Bran got home we walked to a little hole in the wall Italian place that turned out to be incredible.
Stopping for a picture on the way to the restaurant. I went in the store the next day.
At the tiny but scrumptious pizzeria
Silly
Delish!
On the way back to the hotel we found a cupcake place that was to die for.
Rocky Road cupcake
Reeses cup cake
Um, I was pretty excited about this place as you can see by my slightly crazed expression here
Another woe of being alone. No one to take pictures... This make for lovely, awkward photos like this.... Just trying to document my eager start to the day. I spent it wandering around, trying little bakeries and cafes, shopping, pretending I had more money than I actually do, and a whopping 2 hours in Macy's. That store is crazy. Nine floors and two buildings. The shoe department just about stopped my heart.
That night Brandon and I took the subway down to the Financial District and had a delicious steak at a restaurant with a waterfront view. The glittering of reflecting lights colored our meal and I felt almost giddy by the time we left.
You can't even see it because of the glare, but the sign marked Hudson St. so I couldn't resist taking a picture. That little boy is never far from my thoughts.
In front of Ground Zero. We opted for pictures taken inside across the street because the weather had turned chilly. Okay, freezing actually.
Thanks, frigid wind, for the movie star hair, haha
Stock Exchange and Wall st.
Charging bull
Red nose.
The (aspiring) authoress hard at work. Sitting amidst her spoils.
We had an amazing trip and it was the perfect amount of time. If Brandon hadn't had to work all day I would have liked a few more days to go see more of the wonderful things in the city, but next time, someday, we will go back and do more of the tourist stuff. For now, I just had a great time feeling free and creative and aesthetically satisfied.
Of course, the very best part of the trip was getting home at one in the morning and waking up this little guy.
He was so happy to see his mommy and daddy. He kept switching between us. He'd hug Brandon and look at him with a sleepy smile then look at me and reach over to me. Then repeat, repeat, repeat.
He makes my world go round.














































2 comments:
Im SOOOOO happy that you had such a nice time. Loved all the pics and descriptions
One of my very favorite places in the world! I just went vicariously through you. I did a trip like that there and spent the days by myself, and loved it! How precious was that welcome home smile he gave you!!! Our 1st "adult only" trip is next week (yeah...I think)
Post a Comment