I've been working on a post of cute things that Hudson has said or done in the recent months, but I keep putting off finishing it. Anyway, I wanted to do a quick update today while he's actually napping and Layna's content to watch me type away.
So... Layna turned three months today! It is crazy how fast this summer has gone by. I really can't believe it. All the kids are in my primary are starting school this week and soon I'll start back up with teaching piano lessons. (That should be interesting with two kids under the age of three). Layna Mae continues to be the perfect baby. She sleeps around 10 hours a night and just smiles and smiles all day long. She just started laughing for real and I can't even begin to describe how adorable it is. She is really a happy little angel that was sent to our family. I don't know how we got so lucky. She is also huge. Haha, I had to take both kids into the doctor this morning (more on that later) and she weighed (with a onesie and full diaper on) 14 lbs!!! She is the most perfect, beautiful little chubs that ever breathed. At her two month appt she weighed almost 13 lbs and was 24 inches long (90th % for weight and 94th% for height). It makes me happy that she's so healthy and it's crazy to think that the circumstances/feeding methods are the same for my two babies, but she just seems to retain much more. I guess I kind of knew that since Hud had extreme acid reflux until about 6 months. Hud would spit up 4-5 times each feeding and Layna spits up maybe once or twice a week. And it's not much when she does.
So, the kids have been sick. We caught something last week at Cami's wedding in California (at my parent's house... a post on that later. It was a magical wedding and reception). I took them both in today and Hudson has a bad cold, an ear infection, and croup. Layna just has a cold so far so hopefully she'll be spared the other sicknesses (yay breastfeeding!!). Hud got some antibiotics for his ear infection and got a steroid shot for the croup. Poor guy did not enjoy that one bit. He sobbed and sobbed even after getting a sucker. He didn't want their bandaids and he made me use one of our Cars bandaids that we keep in the car. Leave it to Lightening McQueen to heal all the booboos. Almost. He was still pretty torn up about it all and wanted to tell his daddy and uncle boggy (briggs) on the phone while we drove. His little hoarse voice is just about the saddest/cutest thing I've ever heard and hearing his sweet little croaking from the back seat near killed me. I asked him if he was happy yet (from eating his sucker) and he said, "No. I'll be happy in one minute." And then when I told him the shot was to make him better and healthy again he asked hopefully, "Then I can touch Layna again?" (He's been hands off-- as much as we can enforce-- from Layna while he's been so sick) Are you kidding me? I have the sweetest little buddy that ever lived as my son.
That's the thing about having kids. You love them so much (even when they're crazy) that it's a little bit frightening and almost seems impossible for a heart to feel so strongly. You know how the Grinch's heart grows three sizes after he steals Christmas and hears all the Who's down in Whoville singing? I really think my heart has expanded so many times it almost gives me physical pain. When I look at Hudson sleeping in his bed at night and all that wonderful mischief and craziness is smoothed away and his perfect, angelic little face is deep in peaceful slumber, I feel that love so fiercely I can't breath for a second. And that's when I get just a little frightened. It's scary to think how fragile we all are. I've given so much of my heart away to my precious family that the thought of anything happening to one of them leaves me in a cold sweat and I rush to give him a kiss (risking waking him up) and then, after about 500 mental prayers to Heavenly Father to keep them all safe, I force myself to go to bed and to think happier thoughts. There's no point dwelling on being scared of losing something or you can't fully enjoy it. Loving so much has a tremendous softening and humbling effect as it opens and stretches our hearts to make room for something other than our own selfish needs. It's kind of like the E. E. Cummings poem- I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart). I think we're all carrying around people's hearts and having our own heart carried by others' hearts until we've become a tangled tapestry of love. And that is pretty wonderful if you ask me.
My favorite quotidian moment of the day (although this happens everyday):
When Layna wakes up from a nap, I go to get her and unwrap her from her tightly swaddled blanket. She smiles widely and then reaches her arms up in the biggest stretch her adorable little body can muster while pursing her bow lips out in the sweetest pucker I've ever seen.
No comments:
Post a Comment