Saturday, November 3, 2012

Early Morning Giggles

Hudson is an early riser. He usually gets up before 6:30 and we can't seem to get him to sleep in. This is fine when I go to bed before 11 o'clock, but honestly, that doesn't happen very often. Anyway, this morning I heard him cry out at around 6:25. I stumbled into his room and over to his bed where he was whimpering and reaching out his wiry, little boy arms to me. I asked him if he had a bad dream and he nodded yes as he hugged me tightly. Then I put him on my tummy as I laid back against the pillows. I started listing all of the things I love about his cute little self, starting with his forehead and working my way down his face. I softly brushed each thing I mentioned. (I love your eye brows, your nose, your cheeks...) he started smiling as I tickled his chin. Then, during a pause he said, "Hiya sucker!" I burst out laughing and he followed suit. We were cracking up. Back story: There's a sweet old movie called "Come Live with Me" with Jimmy Stewart and Hedy Lamarr. I watched it with Hudson months ago and Hudson thought the parts where Jimmy's reflection in the mirror makes a crooked smile and says, "Hiya sucker!" were hilarious. He hasn't quoted it for months though and I didn't even think he remembered. Oh, we had a good laugh, sitting snuggled under his down comforter in the darkness of early morning, dimly lit by his Cars nightlight. Then Layna started talking in her room next to Hud's and we went to fetch her and bring her into our little party. I fed her while Hudson sat next to me, telling me about his day ahead of him. Brandon got some new army guys yesterday and told Hud that they'd have an epic battle today. Hudson is beyond excited. Now, if only daddy would wake up! :) I think we'll go jump on him in another few minutes.

Just a random little event that I wanted to document before time dims its clarity in my memory. I love being a mom. I love the purpose it gives me and the direction and focus it brings to my life. Sometimes when I'm doing a simple little task like tying Hud's shoe or swaddling Layna before bedtime or getting Hudson to finish all of his yogurt it randomly hits me. I'm a mom. That has become my identity and I love it. Motherhood fleshes out and enriches every aspect of my being and my character. During this month of thankfulness, that is what I am most grateful for. I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who trusted me with two of his best and sweetest and funnest and silliest and most wonderful spirits. Thank you for letting me be a MOM.


1 comment:

Alarie said...

so sweet. I'm getting a little teary eyed. :) isn't it wonderful to be a mom?